Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vegetarian Misconceptions

It is amazing to me the way vegetarianism is such an "all or nothing" endeavor for many. I don't know what it is, but when people become vegetarians it turns into a near religious crusade for them. Not one scrap of meat at all! Some even avoid honey, since it is the byproduct of insects. Honey, imagine that!

I can sort of understand if someone chooses this lifestyle because they are against the exploitation of animals. However, that is only one of a number of reasons why people opt for a vegetarian diet. Many are vegetarians for environmental reasons or for their own health. Yet, many of these folks often fall into the same fervor about avoiding meat. It almost doesn't seem to matter to them that they are chowing down on bananas and coffee shipped from several thousands miles away from farms where humans and the environment are exploited. Nope, they still are against my grass fed beef grown right down the road by a reputable farmer with well-raised animals.

I think the vegetarian movement has done a lot to devalue the health benefits of meat. When someone becomes a vegetarian, the first thing people ask is, "Where are you going to get your protein?" That very question itself communicates misinformation. It makes people think that meat is nothing more than a lump of protein. And we know we can get protein from all sorts of sources. In fact, getting enough protein is quite easy for a vegetarian--even a vegan--just by eating a balanced diet that includes some whole grains, beans and nuts.

The real question for a vegetarian should be this: "Where are you going to get your B-12, calcium, iron, beta-carotene and omega fatty acids?" B-12 is the most significant issue, because it is not to be found in a vegetarian diet at all. Milk and eggs have some B-12, but what they have is often not absorbed well enough by people to be useful. B-12 deficiencies can be quite serious. Supplements are not always effective (B-12 is destroyed by exposure to the sunlight). Certain individuals are not good at extracting beta-carotene and omega fatty acids from plant sources. A lot of it is probably based on genetics.

The only meat out there that actually is nothing but a lump of protein would be your lean muscle meats, like a chicken breast. While that is a prized item on today's menu, it is the least nutritious. You have no doubt heard stories of our hunter & gatherer ancestors who were able to utilize every last item from an animal without wasting any, right? Well, truth be told is that if they were ever to leave some of the meat behind, it would have been the lean meat. Lean meat is devoid of the essential oils and other nutrients, and if you ate nothing but lean meat you might actually die. Lean meat must be accompanied by starches or fats or else the body can go into something called rabbit starvation (usually that requires living in extremely cold temperatures, though). People who tried to survive a tough winter by hunting rabbits found out that the lack of fats made the meat actually useless.

So meat has been devalued, but that's nothing compared to the misconceptions about fat. People think of fat as nothing but empty calories. Not true. Fats and oils are every bit as critical to good health as vitamins and minerals. They are nutrients! Yes, there are such things as "bad fats", such as hydrogenated oils or the weird masses of fat that develop on feedlot animals (which you won't find on animals fed a natural diet, such as grass fed cattle). Those fats are unbalanced and can cause health problems for humans who eat them in excess. But eating a diet that is too lean can throw yourself out of whack, too.

Fruits and vegetables are not always so friendly, either. Yes, we need to eat a lot of them, but any single one of them eaten in excess can be harmful. Most plants have defenses to keep predators away and digestive inhibitors to keep themselves from sprouting. Raw items are good, because you have access to all the microbes, but they can be bad in excess because of all these chemicals that are often broken down in cooking. Yet, the current assumptions that people have would idolize fruits and vegetables.

I say this not to arouse suspicion about fruits and vegetables--just eat a wide variety of them, cooked and uncooked. I say this only to point out that for all the so-called negative effects of meats and fats, you can find negatives about fruits and vegetables, too. This all-or-nothing attitude that is promoted by many vegetarians is misleading and promotes an unwise diet. Most of the negative impact of meats is limited only to those raised in factory feedlot conditions, which, admittedly, is most of the meat consumed in the America. But sustainably raised meats can be a great option for the environment as well as your health.

6 comments:

  1. A vegan skiing friend of mine yesterday said that I cant be an environmentalist and a meat eater... I wanted to point out that if she were a skier, she probably cant call herself an environmentalist either (think of all the electricity wasted on operating those lifts all day, the tons of food half-eaten and thrown out in the cafeteria, all the bottles from the alcohol consumed in the lodge bars, etc. etc.) Skiing at resorts isnt exactly an environmental action.

    Sometimes vegans are a little weird...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know a lot of vegans who say those things. Those arguments are somewhat valid, but not quite when taken to a closer examination. Meat IS environmentally taxing if you buy the meat that has been raised in inhumane factory conditions. Most of the meat I buy isn't like that.

    Those vegans will scoff at my locally-raised beef all the while chowing down on plantation-grown coffee and bananas shipped from thousands of miles away. Gimme a break.

    And you are right that they focus too much on food--clothing may be just as bad of an environmental problem as food. So are their cars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was kind of insulting. I agree that we have a problem with the way in which we raise meat in mass production. I read _Fast Food Nation_ and was really disgusted by the whole issue because it IS environmentally disgusting AND we're eating food that isnt as healthy as farm raised beef. I think the problem is the American desire to have meat with every meal. I explained to my friend that I dont think its healthy to eat meat every day with every meal and that I try vegetarian options quite often in lieu of having a meat-filled meal. That's just for my general health, though.

    I think I'm much more in favor of doing what you do with buying half a cow and pig, etc. I havent started to do it yet. I really dont eat THAT much meat to justify having that much right now. But I'd surely take action to try to protest the inhumane way we raise meat in America. I'd like to see that change. And educate people that while they should eat meat (being that we are omnivores), there's a better and healthier way to go about it.

    I hate when vegans and vegetarians give me lip like it's a crime to eat meat. I'm sorry, but I do not plan to become a vegetarian and certainly not a vegan (I love cheese and eggs--not giving up animal products, sorry). Like you, I'm all about achieving BALANCE in what I eat. I enjoy eating meat. Sorry. But, again, I dont feel that I over-indulge (though maybe I do with cheese!!).

    And, geesh, I'm lazy. It seems like it is such a struggle to figure out what to eat when you are vegan. Gacks!! I dont want to do THAT much work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of those vegans talk big but give them a couple of years and many of the slip back to eating some meats or animal products. Many of them face some rather serious health issues once their bodies run out of B-12.

    I just don't get the all-or-nothing attitude. Sure, we should be more environmentally conscious. But to these folks, that means zero meat at all, even through they are more than willing to drive cars and buy unnecessary clothing, etc. I just don't understand the attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I agree. If you are going to stop eating meat for the reason of environment, then you sure as hell better be checking that all your clothing is not made in sweatshops (does that mean you need to make your own? and do you have your own lamb for the wool?), you arent partaking in activities that contribute largly to pollution (like skiing at a resort), you walk everywhere, etc. etc. She did own a Prius, though, so that's good.

    I'm with you on balance. I mean, you do what you can to REDUCE your thumbprint on the environment. I think it would be nearly impossible to make your lifestyle such that you arent contrinbuting at ALL to the environmental problems... Dont be a wasteful hog, is all I'm saying... If we got everyone to just REDUCE their waste, we could solve a lot of our bigger issues.

    If more people cared about the bad farming practices of corporate farming (from which we get most of our meat), then people wouldnt BUY from these people, which would, ultimately force them to start being more environmentally friendly with their farming techniques. It really does disgust me when I read--separately and from your posts--all the crappy chemicals found in our product that are harmful to us. Just to shortcut some process.

    I need to buy more organic... true organic... I gotta start figuring all this stuff out. Maybe go back and read your previous posts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't get all the vegetarian stereotypes. Not all of us worship PETA and tell off every meat-eater we see. I've never once pushed my opinion onto others, I just give it when asked. That doesn't stop the majority from throwing in their two cents about my diet.

    Oh, and any person can be malnourished like you said. Any intelligent person though, will research what they eat, the health benefits/risks, and how to maintain a perfectly healthy diet. I know I don't get B-12 naturally, so I take supplements. I don't feel like going into detail, but I'm a healthy 3 year vegetarian.

    Ah hell, I guess it's easier to assume everyone but yourself is an idiot. It's so much easier to just make broad statements with that attitude.

    ReplyDelete