Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Monday, January 12, 2009

Bag It Up

It is easy to hate plastic grocery store bags. You can often see them decorating tree branches or strewn along roadsides. They are an eyesore and are extremely dangerous for wildlife who ingest them or get tangled in their handles. They are made from petroleum and thus contribute to our dependence on foreign oil, not to mention global warming. All plastic is quickly becoming a worldwide problem as it is turning up just about everywhere, such as the massive pile of trash in the Pacific Ocean that is twice the size of Texas.

You might think it is good news that some stores offer paper bags as an alternative. This seems like the best solution--here you have a biodegradable option. The unfortunate reality is that it is not so. Paper bags actually require much more energy to manufacture and produce more pollutants than plastic bags.

So you have what seems like a catch-22 situation: You can use the plastic bags but find yourself contributing to plastic waste and fossil fuel usage. But if you choose paper, you may have a biodegradable option but the increased energy use to make them contributes to global warming. You're damned if you choose one, damned if you choose the other.

There is another option: B.Y.O.B! Bring your own bags. This is a wonderful habit to get into and you can nip this problem in the bud right there. You can use backpacks, gym bags or even a cardboard box. I have a few reusable bags with handles and they work out great. Here are some options.

I admit it took some adjustment for me to do it, because this is a lifestyle change (albeit a minor one) and I had to remember to keep the bags in my car or in a readily accessible place. But now that I have gotten into the habit it is quite easy. If I have to make an emergency trip to the store and don't have a bag with me, I try to buy only what I can carry in my hands. Keep these pointers in mind when using reusable bags, such as making sure to actually use them without having them sit in a closet somewhere, just becoming a new form of waste.

16 comments:

  1. I justify my plastic bag usage by the fact that I reuse the bags to line my garbage cans and to put dirty cat litter into...

    I get way too many groceries to bring my own bags... Those bags they offer for putting your stuff into are way too small. I'm one of those shoppers who buys everything all at once once I run out food because I dont like to grocery shop every week--I just dont have the time in my life to take out for weekly grocery shopping... I try to keep it at biweekly or longer if possible.

    I also feel like as a single person I'm hardly eating a lot to contribute to the problem. Which I guess is the wrong way to think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check this out-- it speaks to your point.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvFKnXNiwgk

    I don't know how to connect links-- sorry!

    This is the company that sells the Bag for Life which is a very roomy bag that holds 2 or 3 regular plastic bags worth of stuff.

    I asked my sister to pick up these bags in Ireland when she last visited and I have not regretted it one bit.

    Trader Joe's is another great place that has very functional bags.

    Fun stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... if I could fine nice sizable bags, I'd definitely do it. Though, then, I'd have to find something to put the scooped cat litter in! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seattle has a bag tax (20 cents per bag, I think) so I use canvas bags as much as possible. I've found the bags I get from library conferences are very good for groceries. I can fit a whole week's worth in my MLA 2008 bag. Track down your local librarian. He or she probably has dozens of these bags stashed in a closet somewhere. They multiply like rabbits in our profession.

    Sometimes I'll ask for paper bags just so I have something recyclable in which to transport my other recyclables to the bin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our local co-op charges for bags, too (10 cents). I hope it hasn't hurt their sales too much--sometimes when I don't have a bag I end up buying less so I don't have to buy a bag!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcs--or maybe it was Aldi's--used to charge for bags. Maybe it's Aldis and they still do that... I suppose they probably should do that. I wont take a bag at a store if I can carry what I bought myself. I hate when the cashiers put one item in a bag and give it to you.

    I actually do have a lot of cloth bags that I've got from various places. I suppose I should consider using those.

    But I still dont know what to put scooped cat litter in when I run out of old grocery bags! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't you just put the litter into your larger garbage can that you take out to the curb?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you'd have to put it in a garbage bag, at least, cuz you dont want that stuff sticking to the bottom of your garbage can. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Better to use one large garbage bag for your whole house than dozens of smaller bags.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can also recycle plastic bags at many local grocery stores. The problem is that only about 1% of bags are actually recycled, but the stores do a good job of recycling what they receive.

    It is better not to use them in the first place, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. I've never been 100% happy about plastic bags. I used to insist they use paper (especially since one of my cats liked to use paper bags as cat toys--she'd go sit inside them and act all self-righteous like she'd found the perfect little nest). But the option doesnt always seem available and I do fret a little about the waste of trees.

    I only kid, though, about the cat litter dilemma. I used to use paper bags for that. Although, plastic generally works better for the wet matter...

    Maybe next time I should get a dog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a few of these that I keep in the car. They are expensive but they hold a lot and are very strong.
    http://www.granitegearstore.com/Air-Grocery-Bag-P79.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    I am wondering if I can ask you to review my site in your great blogs.This is Sam a community member at BagsOnTheRun.com,a premier Reusable Bag community in USA.
    BagsOnTheRun offers basic, simple & stylish reusable bags which includes Grocery Bags, Shopping Bags, Customized Bags with company Logos for a very reasonable price, with a ten-pack going for between $16 and about $20.
    I'd appreciate if you can give the website http://bagsontherun.com a look and link to it from your website.I am sure visitor will find the website very interesting and will adopt a green measure in their choice of using bags.

    Will appreciate your reply.

    Regards
    Sam Jones

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, whoever would have thought that the topic "reusable bags" would be such a draw for internet spammers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm wondering if being a spammer is very green... ;)

    ReplyDelete