Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What I learned from Hurricane Ike

Being without power for over 1 week (projected return: Sunday @ midnight) wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have nagging commitments. School is the big one here. The pace of the modern lifestyle, when you're working full time and going to school full time, doesn't allow for much flexibility with the ebb and flow of Mother Nature. Fortunately, school and work have also experienced some down time, so we're somewhat in sync there.

The last of my cow and pig was finished off by this power outage. Luckily, there was only a bunch of liver, heart, tongue, and kidney left. A few decent cuts got thrown out, but virtually all that was left were these organs, which just weren't moving through my kitchen at a fast rate at all. I probably squandered all the carbon benefits by buying this organic, pasture-raised meat in bulk by having to throw it out, but it was still great for my health as well as the welfare of the animals.

If I were more on top of things, I would have just distributed the meat around the neighborhood. My poor grilling techniques and the actual cuts remaining made me squeamish about offering it to others. Imagine knocking on the door of neighbors you've never met, saying, "Here's some fresh grilled liver! Yep, all 5 lbs of it!" Who's really going to cook up soup bones on a portable Coleman stove?

If you study the Bible or other ancient peoples, scholars are quick to educate you how much these people were keenly aware of the cycles of the moon, even building structures to predict it. Students today have a hard time understanding this, seeing it as some ultra-primitive mindset, almost like a nature religion, something that we just cannot understand. It is actually not that hard: Spend a few days without power, and it would be actually more amazing if you weren't aware of the role of moon! Walking around at night with a full moon is worlds apart from pitch blackness.

In the olden days, candle making wasn't just some cutesy little craft. It was a matter of survival. Lanterns work so much better by keeping the light out of your eyes and projecting forward.

I've met more neighbors than ever. The next door neighbor and I pulled down a tree that was suspended among some branches. We shared equipment. We talked to some others over the backyard fence. Nice.

I really like the quiet of a city without electricity. It reminds me of growing up in the country. You can't read much at night, but there's not a whole lot of other loss. Families tend to stay together around a firelight, playing games, telling stories, doing what people have been doing for countless centuries before the rise of modern technology which has done more to break these most natural rhythms than anything else.

It is definitely an adjustment to realize that when the sun goes down so does most of your activity. We have clearly forgotten this. Without power, it is really dark at night. A few candles can keep you from bumping your head, but they won't help you do much else. As the sun goes down, what's not done is going to be left undone until the morning. That's all that there is to it.

11 comments:

  1. Great blog entry. Makes me want to turn out the lights at sunset once a week and light candles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah... yeah, it's nicer, though, when it's by choice. I was dying in the one day that I was without power... I cant imagine what I'd be doing right now if the situation continued. (Actually, I'd be at my parents' house right now since their power was back up Sunday night...)

    I love the lack of technology... I'm not addicted to tv... But man, you cant even really READ by candlelight. It's like a totally unproductive use of your time. Especially if you live in a neighborhood where all your neighbors think you're the crazy single chick (they might think I'm gay, I dont know).

    I hate playing board games. I suck at cards (and have no interest in them). Well, and I'm by myself here so it's pointless anyway.

    No way. A world without electricity sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,

    We talked about having "power outage night" where we turn off all the appliances and lights and just tell stories by candlelight or play outside.

    It's amazing--people pay money to go camping, but yet when it happens at home people think it is such an inconvenience! It is actually quite nice, once you get in the swing of things.

    The power went back on this afternoon, and it was a relief but I was also a little sad! Back to the boring routine. :-)

    Heidi,

    It is really hard to plan something like this. It is like exercise--it is a great idea in theory, but when you don't have to do it, it is really hard to do. That's how it is for me, anyway.

    It is like meeting your neighbors. Everybody wants to meet their neighbors, but it is hard when they are all inside watching TV and so are you. During the outage, we were all outside, talking over the backyard fence, and helping each other pull trees off of each others' houses. We wouldn't do it if were weren't forced to do it, but it is truly a blessing that we are all thankful for.

    People want to be connected, but they don't know how to do it. In the old days, people didn't have TVs and other technology keeping them isolated. Turn your TV off, and it won't be long before you're scratching the walls to get our of your house to find some people to talk to. TV, radio and internet just give us a poor substitute for human contact--they provide enough to keep us going, but not enough to help us find fulfilment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In other words: Some things are not nicer by choice. Sometimes, it is best to just be thrown into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you must have an unusual situation. My neighbors arent that friendly. The power outage caused them to continue to live in their silos. No one was helping anyone do any clearing of their yard... or anything. My neighborhood continues to be as anti-social as it is, and I'm firmly convinced it's a classist struggle. For example, I am pretty sure I'm not liked very much because I'm a single girl with a big house (incurring jealousy among those on my street who maybe couldnt afford a house when they were single) and no kids. I believe I'm automatically outcast from them as a result.

    To add insult to injury, no one respects my personal space in the neighborhood: people walk through my yard right in front of me, their kids ride their bikes through my yard, teenagers cut through my backyard to get to the houses behind me. It's a mess (and soon I'm putting a fence up to stop all this meandering into my back yard).

    I think that everyone getting out talking to each other works in ideal situations. I personally have no desire to talk to my neighbors... even if they did respect me, I go home to get away from everyone because I'm out so much doing other social events... My house is the one place where I want to know I can go to not be bothered by people. If I were too friendly with the neighbors, then they'd be knocking on my door or trying to talk to me when I'm outside doing work that needs to be done.

    Do I sound old and grumpy or what?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you sound old and grumpy.

    I would have to say that your neighborhood sounds unusual. I suppose there are good and bad situations out there. I am lucky for living in a friendly place. It is hard because when you move it may be difficult to determine what the neighborhood will be like until you actually live there.

    I am just longing for the good ole days when neighbors talked to neighbors, they shared tools and equipment. When you don't have TV, then it is amazing how soon those conversations among neighbors start happening--almost instantaneous. It brings me great, great sadness to realize how hungry people are for this kind of neighborly contact, but being kept apart from it from their TV's, radios and internets.

    I swear, the power is out for only a couple days and people are out chatting over backyard fences like they used to do for generation upon generation. It is so natural for us to do this.

    My grandmother said it used to take hours to walk to the grocery store--which was only a couple blocks away. The reason? She stopped to talk to folks who were always out on their front porches, and you could spend a whole day just chatting as you walk down the street. Now, that's living.

    You can't tell me that our modern society is better because we have totally cut ourselves off from each other this way. From what I hear from the old folks, Mayberry really was Mayberry, and it really did exist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess. It's just that I'm too busy. I'd be annoyed by it taking an hour to get to a grocery store around the corner because I squeeze in grocery shopping in between bike riding and 100 other social and volunteer commitments I have a week.

    You see, I dont feel like I need to seek socialization at my house... I do it pretty good on my own by getting out there, joining social clubs, and getting involved in a lot of things in my community. So when I come home, I'm all socialed out and all I want to do is go sit in front of the tv or the internet or do some reading or writing. I've had my fill of people by the time I come home.

    I dont think that this kind of neighborhood is something everyone wants. I'm insulted by the suggestion that I need to socialize with people at my home front. I'm not one of those "glued to the tv" type people. I barely watch any tv (and am, in fact, considering getting rid of cable due to the cost). When the weather is nice, I can be found hiking in some park or around my neighborhood or cycling on some street somewhere. Most of my weekends are spent elsewhere. I come home to unwind and relax.

    The thing that sucked about the power outage is that when I came home to unwind and relax, all of my tools for unwinding were unavailable to me. I couldnt read because you cant read by candle light (though I did finish a book I was 10 pages from finishing with a flashlight cuz I figured it wouldnt take me long to finish it). I couldnt have my tv on as ambiant noise, which I use to comfort myself so that I dont feel alone in my house. I use my tv and the radio for background noise while I'm home... cant deal with the silence... I get scared in the house by myself so I NEED that noise there. So I'm a wuss. But that safty net keeps me from being worried about serial killers busting into my house and killing me (as I explained I fear in my blog).

    I think it might have been more fun to endure a power outage if I was married again... the hubby and I could engage in activities that dont require light... or had a nice romantic bbq dinner over candle light. But by myself, all my comforts were gone and I spent the night terrified. I was in and out of sleep and having nightmares all night.

    So, anyway, I guess I'm not as adjusted to the simple life as the rest of you. But please dont group me in with those people who have an addiction to TV... or who are incapable of being social.. because I realize I'm a person who needs social interaction, so I make sure I do plenty of it by getting involved with activities... My social needs are completely fulfilled (except that it would be nice to get married again someday, but if it never happens, so be it and I can still live a full life).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey don't get your feathers all ruffled up. I'm speaking of people in general, not you specifically.

    But it did cross my mind that maybe you wouldn't be so worried late at night if you had strong connections with your neighbors with you all looking out for each other...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You may have a point there.

    But what if one of my neighbors IS a serial killer? ;) He'll abuse my trust and come bursting through my door like a madman on one of those Lifetime original movies... it wont be Maybarry, then, no sir.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So if I follow your logic, if you don't make friends it's bad, because people will not like you and come after you. And if you do make friends it's also bad, because they will use the friendship to get to you.

    Golly. You just can't win for losing sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now, imagine if you will, what it must be like to attempt to have a romantic relationship with me these days... ;) My heart is a locked cabinet.

    I was really joking about my neighbors being serial killers, by the way.

    ReplyDelete