Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hy-phenators

Does anyone know how to solve the Last Name problem?

Lord knows we live in a patrilineal society. Our family name is passed down through the male line. Your last name is your father's father's father's father's name, on to infinity. Or at least for a long time.

People I affectionately refer to as "hyphenators" have come up with a partial solution. Mr. North and Miss South become Mr. & Mrs. North-South--or South-North. They may take away the Mr. and Mrs. titles, too, but that's a story for another day. The point is that they combine their last names into one. There is continuity with the past, and both sides of the family are appropriately represented in this new name. So far, so good.

Even further, women solve the problem of not having to give up their name in marriage. Now, I'm not entirely convinced that changing one's name in marriage is a bad thing, but it is problematic that only women are expected to do this. So hyphenating solves a lot of dilemmas. However, the cold truth is that this system isn't ending patrilinealism. The names are still the male names. The man brings his father's name to the marriage and the women also brings her father's name.

And then what happens to the kids? Do they use the hyphenated name? Or do all the boys get the father's last name and the girls get their mother's? It would be odd to group kids along gender lines like that. It wouldn't be healthy for boys to over-associate with their father and girls to their mother, but it's also not fair for them to get their daddy's name but not their mother's. But if you don't pick, you end up with a problem:

The hyphenators haven't give us much direction for the future. If the North-South's and the East-West's marry, are they the North-West's? Or are they the North-South-East-West's? It is unclear which direction they should go.

What happens when Joe North-South-East-West marries Jill Peanut-Walnut-Macadamia-Almond? It's so cumbersome, the analyst in me wants to simplify and call them the Compass-Nuts or something. That people and those people. It is a matter of grouping.

It is certainly fair to keep all the names, no question. But it is not long before this system becomes unwieldy and you end up with 216 names. You could just begin the system of hyphenation and pick an arbitrary point and continue forwrad. But as the names grow in length, there would have to be some kind of system to pick which names to keep. Do you pick the male names? Female? Draw a name out of a hat?

People in Spain actually hyphenate--sort of. They don't use a single surname like we do in America. People really do hyphenate and your official family name is as long as your family's memory can remember. Granted, you would only use your 32 surnames on a very rare occasion, such as the ceremony when you're installed as king. In most other cases, you would use 2 names. Yet, those 2 names are patrilinealy determined--one from your father's side and one from your mother, but both dominant names come through the male line. Your father's father's father's, etc. and your mother's father's father's father's, etc.

So how do you:
1. Maintain the tradition of family names
2. Avoid preference of one gender over another?

Each married couple could invent a new name. You could have a name for your particular incarnation of the nuclear family, but it would have no consistency over time and through generations. To me, this destroys the whole idea of a family name, and I would give serious pause before throwing out that tradition.

I'm somewhat partial to hyphenating. I've never thought of myself as Frank Lesko. I've more aptly thought of myself as Frank Lesko-Hricison-Burek-Yakubov. Those families are very alive to me. It is a little less true on my father's side, as most of those relatives are living in Europe and unknown to us, but the overall point is the same. Hyphenating gives voice to each of these. But each name is a misnomer of sorts. The people I call the Burek's are really the Burek-Jawarski's (I need to verify that name). Each name makes sense from my vantage point, as it is the name I've come to use for the particular group of people, but that particular people is also the product of several families coming together, each with their own names and lineage. Once I go back a couple of generations, I'm happy just using one name for each family group. And most outsiders are quite content to think of your family with only one name, as well.

Long last names are also giving more emphasis to an issue that may not be as important anymore. In the olden days, it was more relevant that a certain person was from the Carpenter-Tailor-Smith-Wesson clan. There were matters of inheritance and alliances that went along with that. The people you talk with will actually know each of those families and have a reference point. Nowadays, people move around so much from city to city it hardly matters. Outside of a small town, feudal land system, does it matter which clans you hail from?

Hyphenating may ironically make things simpler now that there are so many mixed families. Parents divorce and remarry, and with hyphenation everyone would know who comes from who without having to ask all the time. But isn't there something special about a family all coming together under one name? I do. But how do you decide on a name??

And yes, it's only a name, but we know names are important or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

13 comments:

  1. Oh dont get me started on THIS topic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon, let's play along: Hyphenator or not? Or you got something better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I also love the hyphenators but have no solution for the cumbersomeness that hyphenation will entail if it were ever applied consistently throughout the generations. I guess that just leaves me here, in the present. And if I were to marry, I would seriously want to consider hyphenation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I considered hyphenation when I got married; however, my combined last names sounded like, as my husband aptly pointed out, the invasion of a small country. So I took his last name. In retrospect, I think I should have kept my last name as he didnt care what I did, and, personally, I returned back to my maiden name after he died because his family turned out to be less than desireable people to align myself with. While, on the other hand, my family always stuck by me.

    So now I wear my dad's name with pride. And I'd like to not let go of it again. But I cant say what I would do in the future because the reason I changed my name in the first place was because I wanted to be a part of the team that was my husband and me... being the young romantic that I was in those days. So I'm not sure what I'd do. I might be more inclined to hyphenate. No matter what I do, I will not torture my children with my decision; they can take the traditional father's name and be done with it. I dont care about my last name as far as their identity goes, only mine.

    My name is also very hard to hyphenate with other names... In most cases, it would sound most cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm okay with hyphenating and letting the next generation(s) deal with the mess we'd leave 'em. :) But I'm not entirely sure it is only a problem in the future.

    For example, if a woman decides to hyphenate, would she use her father's father's name? That's the name most people carry, but it is patrilineal. Wouldn't you want your mother's side to be represented? Or your father's mother's side? Mother's father's side?

    I like hyphenation because it is reality. We know that genetically and culturally we come from all these different people, not just your father's father's side. I think of myself as a product of not just my parents but also my 4 grandparents and their families, and it felt really good to write out my name with all four of their last names in my post... it is still problematic as each of their names represents only the male lineage and the families themselves are a composite of many people, but maybe it is just a matter of starting somewhere and going from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, but as you pointed out, my mother's lineage is really her father's name...

    Isn't enough just to remember these last names? I think I could better honor my mother's lineage by using one of the first or middle names from that line for one of my kids...

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, I think in Spain your last names are more about where you come from than who you are married to. I don't believe anyone changes their names when they get married. Their kids get the combined, hyphenated names from both parents.

    So last names are not linked to marriage like they are in our country--they are linked to birth only.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here on the west coast, it seems fashionable for women to swap their middle names for their maiden names when they marry. No hyphens that way.

    I used to work with a guy who changed his name to his wife's father's name when he got married. He was on bad terms with his own father and more than happy to drop his name like a hot potato.

    It just about broke my dad's heart when my sister got married and changed her name. I think he's over it now. Fortunately he still has two spinster daughters to carry on the legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what I did when I got married... I changed my middle name to my maiden name. I was never wild about my middle name (I think it's ordinary in contrast to my unique first name). So that's how I thought I could compromise honoring my family name while taking on the new name. And that way, no was forced to say the entire tongue=twister that was my maiden name and husband's last name put together.

    But something I found hard after my husband died, regardless of how I felt about his family, was having to explain everything to people who hadnt seen me in awhile. I was married for such a brief period of time, so there were people I didnt see often who hadnt realized I got married. And when they saw my name with my new last name, they were all, "Sp, you got married!" ANd I was forced at that point to drop the bomb of, "Yes and he died."

    So it was really hard for me to deal with... I guess part of me thinks I wouldnt want to change my last name again for this reason, too. The awkwardness. Not that I think my next husband will die first, but he could. I went through a huge identity crisis after he died... Changing my name back to my maiden name helped pull me back to a place where I could be the widow or the never-married maiden whenever I wanted to be.

    It sounds trite, I know. You cant really understand, I guess, how weird it was unless you've gone through it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another question is: If people have an issue with their patrilineal last name, why wait until marriage to change it? Change it now!

    People have an issue taking their spouse's name, but don't seem to worry about taking their father's name. I realize it is the name we are born with and used to, but if the protest is against the system of patrilinealism, then why wait until marriage?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Um. I dunno. For me, I just figure, it's easier to just follow tradition. (Yeah, I said that!)

    Because, again, I thought that I would keep my last name and if I had any kids, I would give them their father's last name just to make things easier (as opposed to hyphening them to death). I really don't care if the kids have my name or not, I'm more concerned with my name.

    Of course, if I'd be overjoyed to find a man who wanted to take my last name in marriage... or to give it to our kids... But it's not like I'm looking for that or anything.

    But I see your point in terms of keeping the family names respected and remembered. Maybe we need to all create our own geneologies, like what you find in Genesis in the Bible. Don't you find that section interesting? I mean, yeah, most people think it's sort of boring. But one of the more useful footnotes in my study Bible pointed out that this was how the tribe (Jews) committed their heritage to memory. Before there was a Bible, the stories of Genesis were a spoken tradition. Reciting the names of their ancestors kept alive to them their lineage.

    I will admit that I have a certain pride to my mom's maiden name. I was kind of depressed when my recently married female cousin decided to change her last name to her husband's. I kept thinking, "Man, I'd keep that last name." Probably because that family means so much to me... and because it was my grandmother's married name...

    I feel every much the Herrnmann (mom's side) as I do the Emhoff... And, for that matter, the Valaske that my grandma was before she married my grandpa Herrmann.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess when the Vlasic's and the Hermann's get together, it is quite a pickle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha. Btw, that is pronounced Vah-las-ski.

    ReplyDelete