Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gimme some old time music with my 'ligion

I made my banjo-playing debut at the St. Francis Mardi Gras celebration last Saturday. I was invited by Kris (dulcimer) and Bonnie (singing/guitar). We played through a swath of old country gospel tunes. It was a great time, and Bonnie had everyone stompin' their feet and whoppin' it up real good.

My perfectionist self was unhappy, of course, because some songs didn't go as well as they did in practice and because our sound balance was way off. The banjo is normally a loud instrument, but mine has issues. It is real twangy and loud in an empty room, but fill that room with people talking and suddenly it can't be heard at all. Without finger picks and a microphone, I was lost in the flood. But that's okay, next time I'll prepare better. At practice, the three of us blended together real well as a group and I do hope to play with these fine musicians again.

Many of our songs came together really well and it was quite an enjoyable experience.

My normally faithful videographer has been quite lax lately, and this is the only picture taken. From right to left you have Kris (behind the pole), Bonnie and me. I don't know the two women sitting in the back.

I also had the great honor of winning an ice-cube lamp in the raffle! It is quite lovely and is currently adorning our dining room table at home. One of my housemates claims to hate it, comparing it to an infamous "leg lamp" we all know so well. I just think he's jealous.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that'd be cool to see you play a banjo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless that lamp looks like a bust of Elvis circa the jumpsuit era with a three feet high lampshade, your housemate has nothing to complain about. (See the photo posted on my FaceBook page for clarification.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The person who took the picture in the post is so ashamed that he doesn't want his name mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane,

    I see a picture of Elvis on your profile, but I don't see the one that is tacky... maybe I couldn't find it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think any Elvis memorabilia displayed in your house is tacky. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, this is coming from someone who is devoting a room of her house to her Star Trek/sci-fi collection...

    ReplyDelete