Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Liberal and Conservative--Analogy of a Village

I see liberals as those who are off exploring fresh lands to farm and searching for new game herds.

Conservatives are the ones staying home, protecting the village and tending to what the group already has.

In a reasonable society, there is a place for both--if both approaches are operating within reason.

If the village would rather starve to death than stretch out and explore uncharted territory, it is unreasonably conservative.

If a village squanders what it has out of the lure of continuous discovery and the fame that comes with it, the village is unreasonably liberal.

If the village picks up and moves to a desert because of the mistaken belief that the ancestors thrived there, then it is reactionary.

1 comment:

  1. So true. I feel I'm mostly liberal. However, I see some cases in which I think the liberals go off the deep-end. I think at the end of the day, I'm more liberal than conservative, but still somewhere towards the middle. Any idea taken to its extreme can go way too far.

    ReplyDelete