Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Tuesday, May 27, 2008

How to Memorialize?

Regardless of your feelings about war, it usually doesn't seem to be asking too much to grieve those who died as a result of war. Even many anti-war activists I know don't hesitate to participate in parades, a moment of silence, a "final salute" or 21-gun commemoration.

However, when you consider honoring America's fallen soldiers on Memorial Day, I ask you to think of your audience (this post is late, but we have a number of other holidays to commemorate soldiers coming up).

When you heap praise on fallen soldiers, think of the 18 year old in small town America. He has hormones bursting through his veins and a desire for meaning and to be part of something powerful that matches the energy he has. He also has little other than low-paying fast food or factory jobs to look forward to, assuming he doesn't go to college. Kids in small town America are BORED out of their minds.

Then suddenly someone talks in reverence about the "ultimate sacrifice" of soldiers. The kid doesn't hear the word "sacrifice," but he wants to be part of something that you can describe as "ultimate." I know no one has that intention when you use those words, but you gotta put yourself in their shoes.

Military recruiters know that bloody and gruesome movies about war help recruiting just as much as the sanitized John Wayne films. Young kids want to be part of something important, and the grit and talk of death is not a turn-off for them.

I want to figure out a way to honor the fallen soldiers without creating the next generation of them. War is too serious, people get chewed up. Those raging energies and a quest for meaning and drama can be better channeled other ways--saving the environment, improving society, mentoring young people. That same competitive spirit and thirst for adventure can be satisfied in other ways. We need to support that.

3 comments:

  1. The only problem is that some of these other social justice-type jobs are voluntary or low in pay, which is not attractive to young people. Not that soldiers get paid all that much. I think it takes the wisdom of years that you dont have so much when you're eighteen to want to take part compassionately in these other type of jobs (taking the low pay that comes with them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those social justice type jobs would pay more if our society valued them more.

    And I think the young people wouldn't be lured into seeking out glory if it weren't for all the elderly armchair warriors watching war documentaries with their eyes glazed over who are feeding this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I agree with you there. I certainly wish there were more money available to social justice agencies... It's sad when I can get paid more as a technical writer than someone, say, working fulltime as a grief therapist in a hospice (believe me, since it's my career preoccupation, I've looked at the salary figures... at this stage, I'm not daunted... fulfillment is more important to me than financial fulfillment... I can make do with less money; I cant make do with feeling unbalanced hating my work.)

    Also, if our society valued art more, artists would get more money...

    ReplyDelete