Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I Keep Getting Dumped

Insurance companies have not been very bashful about telling me the reason why they are turning me down. Well, let me amend that--their detached electronic correspondences have not been very bashful.

It goes like this:

I have cancer, so therefore I don't have the option to have insurance through their company.

No joke. No exaggeration.

In other words, I don't have the option for health insurance because there is a high likelihood that I'll actually use it.

Now, I'm sure all these insurance companies can cite all their financial woes and show me charts about risk management. Call me crazy, but isn't there something fundamentally wrong about a system that is not meeting the need it is intended to meet?

That's like saying we won't spend tax dollars to build roads in a part of town with high traffic--too much risk that the roads will take a beating. That's like saying we can't put a police station in a part of town with high crime.

Maybe the Amish should only agree to build barns for people who live in the cities who, well . . . don't need barns.

My mom and dad have been especially insistent all my life on the importance of having continuous medical coverage. Don't ever go without it, they say. You gotta have health insurance, don't have gaps.

I bought into the whole idea that if I just did my fair share and kept myself continually covered, that companies would also do their fair share and continually insure me. That's the honest man's deal we all made, right?

I don't even like to mention that last point, because there are all sorts of very understandable reasons why someone may have a lapse in coverage. But that doesn't need to enter this discussion, because I've never had a lapse.

I should demand that I get my money back from all these insurance companies to whom I've paid considerably more than they have ever paid out for me over the years. By their logic, that would make sense, right? It goes like this: If they won't cover me because I'll use it, then they should pay me back for the times when I haven't. That would be the honest solution, don't you think?

So let's say I go without health insurance and neglect follow-up appointments and procedures for my cancer condition. Let's pretend for a minute that that doesn't scare the living shit out of me and affect my actual life. Let's just look at it in financial terms. Perhaps my condition will worsen being left untreated for several years. If/when I do get into an insurance policy, then my medical bills will be through the roof, much worse than if I had just maintained preventative care. Maybe at that point they will wish they had been continually covering me. Actually, they might try to deny me coverage for having a period of time without insurance. Now wouldn't that be ironic?

It's time we just recognize that health care is a value we all share, and we'd all like access to it. The current system is not working. Well, let me amend again: The current system is not working for me, even though I am one of the people who helped build it up.

I once built a railroad -- now it's done.
Brother can you spare a dime?

Would you like to live in a society where you had to pay a hefty fee every time you called the police and pay out-of-pocket for the officers who protect your home and business? Just imagine firefighters sending you a bill for services rendered! No, we recognize that police and fire protection is something we all want, even though some may need it more than others, often through no fault of their own. We share the financial burden because life would be absurd otherwise.

Whether it is police protection or health insurance, you can complain if some people are getting more out of the system than they are putting in. Or you can just consider yourself blessed that you don't need their help as much as others.

Health insurance is probably the best example going that capitalism by itself does not yield a beneficial result, and it certainly doesn't bring out the best in human nature.

I'm glad I'm not a person at an insurance company denying coverage to people. I'm sure they have built many walls within themselves to rationalize this. I'm sure the responsibility is spread out among so many people that no one individual feels like they are doing the screwing, they are just "following along with the company policies." Regardless of blame, the result is ugly.

It really isn't financially prudent for individual companies acting alone to insure a whole population without looking for ways to pick and choose. This is where some collective action as a group is important, because if we all act and pay together as a nation we can share a burden that no one (or perhaps no corporation) could (or would) handle on their own.

Health care is not much different than police, fire, public education, roads and other infrastructure--it permeates into every nook and cranny of everyone's life. Yes, health care is individual, but it is also very public (the statistics are quite good showing the relationship between individual health and societal cost). Life is just simpler and more humane if we all just take it on together, quit playing the have's against the have not's and quit rolling dice with our lives.

5 comments:

  1. I think your perspective is a relevant one as we face the dilemmas within health care reform. The issue can seem far away until you are close to someone directly affected.

    By the way, it is another sad fact that fire fighters allowed a house to burn to the ground because the occupants did not pay a $75 fee for fire protection. You can read about it here:

    Newstory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Erin. That story about the fire really resembles our current health care system. It seems outrageous to have a system where firefighters just watch a house burn down, but that is exactly what happens in our country as sick people without insurance are turned away from health care. Not having universal access to health care (like most of us have with fire protection) creates a very morbid result. Hospitals check to make sure you have your papers in order before they treat you. We are used to it, but this isn't the kind of society that we should be living in.

    People can argue whether the family got what it deserved by not paying the fee, but when there are lives at stake (including youth, animals, neighbors, etc) there seems to be no excuse. The bigger issue is whether we want to live in a society that nickel-and-dimes us on life or death matters. What if the fee were paid, but there was a paperwork mistake? Not only is it cruel and inhuman, but it is also needlessly tedious. Instead of spending all this time and attention on figuring out who's in and who's out, let's just keep things simple and let everyone in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank - This is the first I have heard of your cancer diagnosis. I am sorry. I wish I had more to offer besides my sympathy and prayers, but it is my hope that they will bring you some peace. On May 1st 2008 I was diagnosed with colon cancer, but I had health insurance coverage. I only know a small part of what you are feeling. Your brother in Christ, Bob Kratzenberg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob, thanks for the kind words. I had a thyroid cancer diagnosis 5.5 years ago. I'm not in any immediate danger (I don't think), just need to stay on top of it.

    I had no idea about your diagnosis, I'm very sorry to hear about that. May 1st is the Feast of St. Joseph the Worker, so I would take that as a sign that you are in good hands.

    By the way, I inherited some old Domincan prayer books. Would you be interested?

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the offer of the prayer books. I would like to have them. Drop me an email at my ODU address kratzenr@ohiodominican.edu and I will make arrangements to pick them up some time. - Bob K.

    ReplyDelete