Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Monday, December 8, 2008

Automated Fast Food

I don't understand why they don't have completely automated fast food restaurants, yet. I see no reason why they even have people working there, anymore.

I imagine a scene where you pull up in your car to a window. You select your foods with a touch screen. You insert money into a bill acceptor or card swiper. You open a hatch and out comes your food.

I'm all for hand-made foods, but when I got some sandwiches from Wendy's today, the first thought that crossed my mind was, "A machine could easily have done just as well... or poorly." It could grill the meats, slap on some dressing, throw on a pickle, put some bread around it, wrap it up and send it down the chute. This wouldn't be that hard for the technology of today.

Added bonus: No danger that some 16 year old punk is going to spit on your sandwich. Or worse.

They could always have one person on site to answer customer complains, re-stock the automatic sandwich assembly machines, or be on the watch for quality control (ha!)

7 comments:

  1. You must have been in a pinch...you at meat from Wendy's? Zikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One Dorito and this is what happens?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It proves that Doritos are a gateway food! What next, a hot dog from 7/11??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have decided that the less I say about this the better :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Wendy's is the better of all the fast food joints... I dont know if it's healthier, but it tastes better.

    I wont eat at McD's on the pure principal on having worked there. Every time I walk into that place, it smells to me like the bilge water we used to remove from the greese traps each night. Bleh. Still makes my stomach turn to think about it...

    Other fast food places might have smells associated with this sort of horror but I didnt work there to make the association... and it's better that way!

    (not to mention the fact that I still hate McD's cuz they are owned by cheap-assed pigs who never gave me a single raise despite the hard work I did put into the job...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should have been a Sandwich Artist, Mars Girl. I worked there for three summers and can still eat there with no problem. Sometimes I am tempted to jump behind the counter and make my own sandwich, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually did work at Subway for just a month or so. My best friend owned one for a time. I think cold sandwiches are much less gross than mass produced burgers and fries...

    ReplyDelete