Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Tuesday, March 25, 2008

How Do You Say The Creed?

Do you ever have difficulty reciting the Nicene Creed during your Sunday Christian service? You know what I'm referring to, its the section that starts:

We believe in one God, Father Almighty,
Maker of Heaven and Earth,
Of all that is seen and unseen . . . etc.

I have always had a difficult time affirming the statements of the Creed. I can't say that I agree with it and even worse, I don't understand what all the statements mean. I am no stranger to holding much of Christianity at a metaphorical distance, but there comes a time when I feel I just can't say this stuff anymore and still have any credibility (notice the pun!)

Do I just act 'as if' the Creed is true, and see if grow into it? Do I continue to question but defer to the longstanding tradition of the Church? I have wondered if there is a kind of grace in deferring to thousands of years of tradition--not to stop questioning, but to just agree to "go with it" for the time being. Just knowing that I don't have all the answers, and that maybe the thousands and millions of people who came before me know more than I give them credit for. There are times to wade in carefully at the shallow end, and there are time to jump into the deep end and just start swimming. So I figure maybe I should just swim in it.

Other times, it seems that the questioning spirit is a true path of faithfulness, and one affirmed time and again in the Bible--the questioning and fiery Job was the one who experienced a vision of God, not his doctrinal, legalistic friends. Abraham, who broke with tradition and refused to sacrifice his son, is the patriarch of our faith. These questioners became trend-setters and heroes.

So here's what I say silently to myself as a preamble to the Creed (or something to this effect):

I commit myself to the evolving faith tradition which affirms the mystery described as one God, the Father almighty, etc.

Its a lot better than:

I believe in the scientific reality of one God, Father almighty, etc.

MysticalSeeker regularly asserts that many atheists who were once fundamentalists do not change their mindset when they change beliefs. They just "switch teams" but are playing the same game. Their basic approach and the way they frame the questions remain the same, even if they reach different conclusions. This is an excellent point. The problem is that while many of us approach the Bible and other articles of faith with modernist eyes, many of us (myself included) are still trapped viewing the Creed in black/white, fundamentalist terms.

If we don't take the Bible literally, anymore, then I see no reason to take the Creed literally, either. I don't see why a literal interpretation of the Creed is some kind of prerequisite for orthodox Christian faith.

This may be a difficult assertion, since it can be argued that creeds lend themselves to literal interpretation much more than a scriptural narrative (just don't tell that to a fundamentalist). However, a more loose relationship with a creed may be more in keeping with the original intention.

In this, I rely heavily on Berard Marthaler's The Creed. He says that originally the creeds (there have been several) were statements of commitment and faith rather than of scientific belief. This wouldn't rule out a scientific interpretation, but it would not necessarily be the focus nor the point. Creeds have served many purposes throughout the history of Christianity, from initiation rites, articles of faith, up to an "outright test of orthodoxy" (9). Today, we see the creed only through the narrow lens of the latter of that list.

He describes the Nicene Creed as a narrative. In doing so, that really frees us up to interpret the Creed as we do the Bible: The product of a particular people responding to particular circumstances, coming to understand their God and their faith in the best language they could find (372). Its a wonderful piece of an evolving story, and the theolgy that it is based on is not lightweight.

The Creed is not something to discard, by any means. Like the Bible, it just has to be re-read with new eyes. Marthaler writes: "It defines us in a new particular relationship to God and to the world. In summary form the creed discloses that God at once transcends the universe and at the same time enters into history and the lives of human beings. Like all good stories, which are in essence pointed narratives, it has the power to change patterns of thought and meaning so that everything is seen in a new light." (9)

Now, that's an interpretation of the Creed I can swallow! We can still draw from the Nicene Creed even if we're not so surefooted about the literal details, just as we do the Bible.

The word "believe" is critical. It originally had connotations of be love, such as "This is my beloved son". We do not have that word in modern English. Through some mistranslations and the evolution of words in our language, we ended up with this cold word "believe" which expresses a purely cognitive, true/false reality. It really embodies the western mentality that frames too much of religious discourse as whether something is factually true or not. Marthaler suggests that the evolution of this word most likely has had a profound impact in shaping our western approach to religious faith and dogma (18).

The most literal, accurate translation of the first line of the Nicene Creed would be: I set my heart upon God.

Imagine starting the creed with: I belove one God. In that statement, it is not so much a factual matter of whether God exists or what form God takes. It is more of a question of loving the God that is and swimming in the mystery that surrounds this God. There is "belief" in there--it is not for atheists. But it has more flexibility than most modern people give it credit for.

One of the biggest problems in western society is that we view all truth as scientific reality. We have difficulty affirming the "realness" of religious mystery because are too hung up on whether we can "believe" it or not. And that is important. All truth is going to make sense scientifically, as well as in other ways. But it is also more than that. We ultimately don't go to church to profess laws of natural science, we go there to swim in the mystery of faith and relationship to God.

So if you're like me and disdain the recitation of the Creed, I say: Give it another shot! Like the Bible, you may benefit from a good guide to help unravel deep-rooted assumptions we bring to our reading, and Marthaler's book is excellent. It appeals to both the orthodox and the progressive. It has a neat chapter at the end which is a call for new creeds, and it looks at some modern attempts.

Seeing the Creed anew, I realize it is a lost treasure--hiding in plain sight for us Catholics, since we recite it at virtually every mass.

ADDED LATER: It has taken Christianity the last 100 years or so to understand how to continue to appreciate the Bible even though the literal details have been found to be suspect. We should not underestimate the crisis that occurred when scholars first began to call into question much of the historical details of the Bible. I imagine that it is also going to take a while before people can recognize the value of a creed when its message is no longer taken 100% literally, either.

My point is that there is value in the creed. They serve a purpose in our evolving faith history, just like Biblical narratives do. The early church, in particular, was very creed-happy and chose to frame its message in those terms, which may explain why there were no new writings recognized as scripture--the church simply shifted its focus to statements such as creeds. The various creeds has never been my favorite parts of Church Tradition, but now that I have learned to see them differently, I recognize their role and appreciate them. I think I would be missing out on a major slice of Church history to ignore them.

11 comments:

  1. Your interpretation of the creed is probably not unlike that of Marcus Borg, who says that he has no problem reciting the creed even if he doesn't take it literally.

    I grew up in a non-creedal tradition and I never felt any attachment to them, and I just say silent and don't recite it if I happen to be in a church where it is part of the service.

    About a year ago I found a commentary on the creeds by a Methodist Minister that I wrote some things about. While I personally don't like creeds much, I did appreciate the efforts of the minister to give the creeds meaning in a modern context for people who didn't necessarily take all of it to be literally true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For many years, I did the Borg thing: Recite the creed even though I didn't take it literally, because I respect that there is value in participating in the faith tradition that produced it, even though I may be unsure about many points.

    But lately I'm more in line with the Methodist minister you quoted: The creed it not a true/false test, but rather a narrative of faith. It has value in the way it 'engages us at the intersection of our understandings and living faith' (paraphrase)

    In response to your post, I think there is something to be said about fundamentalism being related to a non-credal approach, whereas credal churches often produce some progressive thinkers (even though intuitively it seems like the reverse should be true). I don't think that's an accident, although I'm not sure how to explain it. Maybe putting things down on paper forces people to engage reason, and gives you something to springboard off of, as opposed to the ever-shifting logic of a fundmanentalist sermon.

    While I'm not thrilled about orthodox Christianity's work at condemming so-called heretics, I am impressed with the ability of orthodox Christianity to preserve paradox--the one thing missing from so many other theologies who attempt to "make sense" out of things too much--boiling things down to formulas we can understand, rather than preserving paradox which creates the need to transcend our understanding. This is the genius of orthodoxy.

    The existence of paradox should preclude us from taking anything literally, when its obviously beyond human words to describe. As Sally McFague says, its all just a model of God, not a description.

    The end result of orthodoxy is not a poor theology at all, it just sucks how many people had to be burned at the stake for/against it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Frank, I'd be interested in a post on your thoughts on Revelations... I love these entries from you that explore the very same topics that made me leave my Catholic tradition and Christian faith at an early age. The Creed is definitely one of those questionable topics to me.

    For me, I think it's really hard to chant/say something allowed in a church setting that I dont truly believe. So I can see the problem you described here pretty clearly and I totally hear where you are coming from. Many times when you explain these things from your perspective, I am surprised to find I agree... which makes me wonder why I stumble with Catholicism and Christianity and why I cant work myself back over in that direction... Maybe if I saw more of a progressive interpretation of these philosophies in an entire church community (the way I do at the UU, which is why I go there).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Revelation? The book hasn't really stimulated much thought on my ened, but I can give you a snapshop about what scholars are saying:

    The Book of Revelation has been pretty well debunked as a literal phophecy. Its not a snapshot of events that are going to happen at the end of the world. Its more the language that is code for the evils of the Roman empire, and the fact the writer believes that the justice of God will ultimately prevail. "666" being a code for the Emperor Nero, not the Devil. There is an urging for people to stay alert and stay on their toes.

    Its a pretty complex book, and people love it. Its not one of my favorites.

    It would be wrong to say that the book offers no sense of what ultimately the end of times would be like, or what it would look like when God's justice has its day and completely reshapes the heavens and the earth (which Christians believe will happen someday). But even mainline conservatives (not fundamentalists) believe that it is a symbolic interpretation, not a literal one. Its actually amazing when you think about how complete of an upheavel this author is describing. It is quite a social justice stament: everything here is bullshit through in and thoughout and it needs a THOROUGH and TOTAL house cleaning... these earthly systems are all corrupt beyond imagining.

    The key to cracking Revelation is understanding that is part of the literary genre of apocalyptic literature. It has quite a few codes, symbols and tendencies that once you understand the genre you can better see where the author was going.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... One of my friends told me I should read it for the sci-fi value of it (suggesting that I would find it fun because it had a sci-fi feel to it... and because I love post-apocolyptic stories -- not necessarily apocolyptic as in pertaining to the Bible, but, you know, just the end of everything in general).

    Okay, so, then, have you had friends in Christianity who do take Revelations on a somewhat literal level? And what do you to try to dissaude them? I was in a church last weekend that was really pushing that this was how the world was going to end and that we're all basically just sitting around here waiting for Jesus to return. It's hard to look at the scholarly approach when the Christian churches you go to are still pumping this stuff as "the Truth" in its literal reading to its masses. Why are these educated ministers doing thing? (And, from what I've seen, you have to be reasonably educated to be a minister.)

    This is a really big church I'm talking about too. And I have trouble believing that the 500 or so people in there all actually believe that Revelation is the tale of the world to come... This is where I have the hardest time trying to get along with some of my Christian friends..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately or fortunately, a non-fundamentalist approach usually cannot be communicated in quick soundbites--not that you are asking me to, but it gets hard to get into a discussion with fundamentalists over stuff like this, because they will rarely give the discussion the time and space it needs to fully explore a topic.

    If I start a story with the words, "Once upon a time" you will automatically know that I am going into the fairy tale genre and you will know I'm not trying to tell a historical story. The story will continue until I say the words "and they lived happily ever after." These are signals to the reader about what the author is doing. The modern reader knows this without anyone having to tell them.

    The problem is when you are a reading a story that is 2,000 years old using genres that we don't have anymore. Its easy to think its all literal when the author is really making a segue into apocalyptic literature.

    The apocalyptic genre was pretty common about 200 BC - 100 AD, give or take (just going from memory here, it might be earlier than that). Its really a genre that you find all over the world, though, when you find people in really, really desperate situations. Really suffering under oppression in a big way. Its highly symbolic, which is a sign of people who are speaking in code because there is real fear of free speech. Its hard to think of a modern day example of this.

    Maybe its like Joyce Dyer's talk about Victorian Lit, where the text says "two people met for tea and felt the warm summer breeze" when in reality they had wild sex, but the text doesn't say that, but there are some clues that would give the readers who are "in the know" the right wink-wink, nod-nod to indicate what's going on. Maybe the word "breeze" was code that would have been understood back then but the key to the code has been lost to history.

    I can go back and do some research into what the clues are to its non-literalness, but I think a lot of it relates to the fact that that genre was never understood to be a forum for literal descriptions. Apolocalyptic stories just didn't carry with them that kind of intention back in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm... with all that in mind, I can see even more clearly the issues with "decoding" the Bible for scholars... There's something there we all want to get to, and finding what the message really was intended to be is the hard part. And then you add to the fact that these original texts were written in other languages, so translation issues (translation, as I am sure you know, is often the interpretation of the translator). In other words, it becomes extremely difficult to find the real word in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more recent example of code words is in the song Follow the Drinking Gourd- a song to help slaves to freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great point. The song was giving advice to escaped slaves to follow the Big Dipper constellation on their trek northward. That was the "drinking gourd" referenced in the song. There were other clues in the song as to when and how to make that journey (if legend is accurate--it is hotly debated).

    Without knowing that, you might think it was a drinking song, or maybe just a weird name for a dance tune. Even worse, if you took the song literally, you might really spend your time digging in archeological sites hoping to find the real drinking gourd from the song, not realizing that it was just code for something else.

    Obviously, the slaves didn't want to be obvious about what they meant, because of fear of persecution. Christians in the early days were like that, too. They spoke in code and symbols. The Book of Revelation trashes Rome and the Emperor in a lot of ways, but the casual hearer of this story may not have put 2 and 2 together that way.

    People trying to predict the end of the world by putting the imagery of Revelation together like pieces of the puzzle are no different than the misguided archeologists trying to find a large spoon. However, it is easy to make that mistake if you don't know the historical context.

    By the way, by talking about the "code" in Revelation I'm not talking about the "Bible Code" books and TV shows out there.... that is something really different.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really cool. I didnt know Revelations held a lot of code for "trashing" the Roman Empire. When I make a reading of that section, I'll have to keep that in mind. That's pretty interesting, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Abraham, who broke with tradition and refused to sacrifice his son..." ???

    strange way to read that story!

    ReplyDelete