Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Friday, December 7, 2007

Invoking Nazism

I look at the absolute treasure trove of Catholic tradition, but see empty pews and disinterested participants at mass. Despite a tremendous history of diverse prayer styles, profound theology, the witness of the saints, monastic traditions, wonderful music & art and social justice activism--just to name a few things that come to mind--Good things are happening, but I do wonder where the energy and enthusiasm is for the average church goer.

Theologically speaking, I am incompatible with Protestant fundamentalism. Even on an emotional level, I have almost always had a nagging hesitation about it and have had real trouble relaxing into their spirituality. Yet, it is apparent that the fundamental/evangelical/pentecostal churches are active, their assemblies motivated. Their members keep their services new and fresh. Bible study groups abound. I've been influenced by them in many ways, as well.

I started to wonder if maybe the lack of enthusiasm in the mainline churches is really an indication that they are missing something important that these other churches have found. I was talking about these concerns with a college professor several years ago. My prof's words hit me like a boulder: "The Nazi party had plenty of energy and enthusiasm."

These words sound inflammatory, but they do not have to be. The point is a very valid one: Energy and enthusiasm are not by themselves an indication that Truth is present. Many energetic and enthusiastic people have done horrible things. This is difficult for Christians to wrestle with, because we often see "joy" as being evidence of true discipleship (it is worth noting that joy does not necessarily manifest itself as energy and enthusiasm, either, as joy is often something more quiet).

[I'll keep my professor's name anonymous to spare any flames that always seem to find you when you invoke a Nazi analogy. I'll leave it to your imagination whether my prof was making any sort of comparison between Nazi's and those churches, but the comment does not have to be taken that way.]

This raises an even larger issue. So often, we prize qualities such as "hard work", "ambition", "determination", "sticking up for one's beliefs". However, those qualities are morally neutral. In fact, manifested in the wrong person, having those qualities is actually worse than not having them. It is not commendable when a Nazi is hard-working or stands up for his beliefs! As George Carlin says (paraphrase)--'show me someone who's just sitting around playing video games, and I'll show you someone who is not hurting anybody.'

There is nothing inherently good about being an "ambitious" person. What are you working for? Who are you working for? Bob Dylan says, "you gotta serve somebody," and in light of this, I think he may be right.

My professor did add that Catholics have a healthy spirituality. I think there is a lot of truth to that. Its a faith that's quieter but possibly more long-term. The spirituality is gentle, but authentic. No one is going to rush up to you with a big handshake and a fake grin and say "Welcome to our church! Sign our guestbook and receive our mailings!" when you walk through the door. In fact, they may not acknowledge you at all, for better or for worse.

Each church has blessings in its approach but also dangers. A gentler spirituality among Catholics is as real as the earth, but when it gets off course it can just dissipate away, leaving you feeling abandoned (but with strong roots, I wonder if it comes back later). On the other side, the active spirituality of evangelicals is more focused, but can be bombastic and pushy when not properly rooted. In the end, energy and enthusiasm are not enough by themselves to indicate the presence of Truth.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's a really thought-provoking entry. Especially since my break from Catholicism has been a lifelong argument with myself. Lately, I've been exploring religion again after giving it up in sixth grade. I struggle with the absence of emotion that I feel in the rituals of the Catholic church, but the sometimes too-enthusiastic pushiness of Protestantism that you describe here. Right now, I'm attending a Unitarian Universalist church with the intent that I have Christian leanings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Heidi. Welcome to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a welcome relief from my boring job... I've become a reader of blogs. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS I'm curious which professor made the Nazi comment... =) Was that at Hiram? (You dont have to say publicly... but if it was a Hiram prof, I'm curious to know who it was. Just for a chuckle.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Frank, I think that we have some similar views theologically speaking. I am definately more in tune with the Catholic leading by example type of spirituality, than the beat you over the head/ in your face type used my many evangelics. I spent six years in a "non-denominational" church which was basically a bunch of former southern baptists who I always felt used the non-D. nametag to appear less threatinging. There might have been a few subtle differences between them and true southern B.s but it was always just semantics to me. I miss thier energetic music, but not their pushiness. And luckily we've found a group of Catholics who as just as musical and play live instruments (two guitars and a bass) every Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark, welcome to my blog. Nice to hear you're rockin' it out in Kansas.

    ReplyDelete