Description

A personal blog. I am an: Award-winning writer. Non-profit entrepreneur. Activist. Religious professional. Foodie. Musician. All around curious soul and Renaissance man.


Sunday, August 8, 2010

Debut

My Sunday debut as Music Director started this way:

A near-complete disaster on the opening hymn!

Seriously, I flubbed my way through the piece missing every other chord, then after two agonizing verses I just stopped, hoping we could just end there. I wasn't even sure I was at the end of a verse or somewhere in between.. The priest led everyone for an accapella verse. Then another . . . Then another! Later, I learned everyone was good natured and laughed through it, but at the time I was too embarrassed to look up.

The rest of the Mass went well, with no major mistakes, just some timing errors and a few better-disguised mistakes. I really had a strong urge to run screaming out the side door at various points. I was hoping that I'd build confidence this weekend and put the stage fright behind me. That may take a little longer.

Looking on the bright side, I suppose this was a true confidence builder as holding myself together and recovering from such a dismal start is an important, if not essential, skill as a performer. All those hours and hours practicing these past weeks helped push me over the hump.

I played for the Saturday Mass yesterday and everything went quite well. Today was merely the first time playing for the much larger congregation with the full choir.

This is a wonderful parish and folks are truly laid-back and accepting. I really don't want to make my own performance such a focus, but when one is nervous it is hard to avoid that. I look forward to times when we can work together to lead the congregation is prayer, celebration and deeper spiritual reflection through music.

3 comments:

  1. Our music director has often started us over when we or he has majorly messed up... dont know how that would work, though, in the more solemn setting of a Catholic church. But I will say that I've noticed people are more forgiving of your mistakes in church... I guess since the point is to worship, which still counts even when we mess up during the ritual. I've thought about joining the choir because they say they never turn anyone down... But then I thought I didnt want to be the first. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank - You know the drill ... just stay out of the way and let the Holy Spirit play. Best of luck to you in your new career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah to what Bob said! If you're gonna kill a chord, kill it joyfully. That's all the Lord asks.

    ReplyDelete